Thursday 9 December 2010

The Brixton Burger (not a euphemism)

Tuesday night saw me getting back to my rock chick roots (I have some somewhere, down the back of the couch) to get down with the kids at an Interpol gig. Brixton Academy was calling, I had donned my 'urban' attire and I was ready to rock. Then my ticket-holding co-rocker called to say he was stuck in Reading, would have to miss our pre-dinner plans and would only make it just in time for the band – cue panic due to loudly rumbling stomach.

With no time to get home, defrost some of the weekend’s batch of soup, slurp it down, and then make it to the venue, I plumped for a fortifying pint of Guinness in a Brixton pub while I waited. My companion soon arrived, equally starving, and concurred: We have a food emergency.

With just moments to spare before the headliners hit the stage, we searched in vain for quick snack, but were only met with the bland stare of a Nando’s. Defeated, we decided to push on through the gig - only to be greeted by this welcome sign on our way in…


And did this place deliver. One of the juiciest, honest-to-goodness best burgers. I have no illusions as to the source of the meat, or its non-existent organic, fairtrade or local sourcing credentials… but it was hot, the bun was soft and it was chokka with gorgeous, caramelised onions. Three bites and it was gone – best £2,80 I’ve spent in a long time. So what if it wasn’t the best food match for an Irish stout and my stomach continued to grumble in another way altogether for the rest of the night – The Kitchen at the Academy is OK by me.

1 comment:

  1. I will attest to the fine juiciness of that burger. Much better than some of the fayre that you find in these music venues.

    ReplyDelete