Thursday 30 December 2010

Top 4 cookware finds during my Christmas hols

Whilst I was contracting nasty bugs of the bronchial variety and experiencing that extremely rare sensation i.e. a lack of appetite, I was still able to enjoy the non-eating foodie opportunities presented by my homeland – namely, perusing the funky cookware.

Here’s my top 4 roundup of food bits and bobs that tore a hole in my finances:


Serving platter
Mr Price is South Africa’s answer to Primark, but their homeware department seems to have undergone some kind of revamp - I could’ve literally bought the whole floor (luggage restrictions held me back). This plastic number caught my eye just before I paid for my other booty, meaning I had to lose my place in the queue. But it was worth it. Durable, dishwasher friendly and perfect for everything from crisps to garlic bread to salad.


Serviettes
Gorgeous, bright napkins chock-a-block with sunshine and local South African imagery – just the thing to help you wipe away your cold weather cares (and sticky messes). Another Mr Price (locally poshed up to Monsieur Pricé) special.




Tin bowls
Traditional African tin plates, mugs and bowls are suddenly ‘in’ in South Africa - they’re everywhere! I picked these up in Johannesburg – couldn’t resist the funky South African words plastered across them and fun ‘airmail’ look to them. Road tested them on my first night back in Lambeth with takeaway burgers from Firefly pub in Clapham – the burgers fit like a glove, with a little room left for a tactical splodge of tomato sauce for chip dipping.


East Coast Tables cookbook
Rammed with recipes from local s’lebs such as former South African rugby captain Jon Smit and, erm, an ex-Miss South Africa, this is a beautifully shot book of nostalgic food memories from my childhood. The curries and seafood will definitely get an outing, but first off I’m attempting the Pecan & Ginger Cake for my next gathering – watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment