Tuesday 7 December 2010

The eternal half price pizza

As a Lambeth newbie, I couldn’t help but be struck by the plethora of eateries available. But one caught my eye immediately and became a ‘must visit’. Behold… Pizzeria on the Green.

You just know it’s a one off when the venue has ‘1/2 price pizza’ actually stencilled on the awning. Hurry while stocks last!!


But undeterred by false advertising, I decided to test the waters of this intriguing trattoria. We called and ordered a Hawaiian pizza and penne pasta with a tomato-based sauce (watching the calories) and chicken. (I must add here that this was off menu, I repeat, off menu – let that be a little challenge for my budget-friendly Italian friends). As promised, it was ready to collect in 12 minutes and the price was reasonable, as quoted.

The pizza was thin, crispy and bursting with flavour. Glorious in colour and texture, with just the right amount of pineapple as to add sporadic bursts of sweetness without turning the entire ensemble into a fruit salad. The pasta, however, was a massive half assed, let alone half priced, disappointment. Lacking in both sauce and flavour, the dry, brown bits of chicken left me less than impressed. Challenge – fail!

Overall, lovely service and to-die-for pizza convinced us this was a place worth making a regular haunt. But I’ll stick to what they know best on the menu from now on.

Post script: A foodie friend pointed out that Mr Masterchef guest judge himself, Michel Roux Jnr, recommended this place in delicious. magazine as a ‘local favourite’ a few years back. No matter how famous you are, you clearly can’t resist a bargain.

I want a pizza of the action!
Pizzeria On The Green
4 Cavendish Parade
Clapham
London
SW4 9DW
Tel: 020 8673 3227

No comments:

Post a Comment